Important sections of IPC- The Indian Penal code Bill was passed by the Legislative Council and it received the assent of The Governor-General on October 6th, 1860. the latest amendment act is known as The Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, 2018.
the Important sections of IPC 1860 that were added in the amendment are as follows-
section 166A of the IPC 1860, Section 228A of the Indian Penal code, section 376AB of the Indian Penal code, section 376DA and 376DB of the Indian Penal code, and section 376E of the Indian Penal code.
Introduction of Important of IPC-
The Indian Penal Code-
No person was said to be safe from attack on his person or property by another person in the uncivilized society. mostly one person attacked either succumbed or over-powered his opponent. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a life for a life was the rule of law. but with time to time advancement of society, the agreed party accepts compensation instead of killing his adversary, and gradually this function came to be performed by the state.
Criminal Jurisprudence came to light by the time of Manu. Manu has recognized that assault (sec-351), Robbery (sec-390), Theft (sec-378), False evidence (sec-191), Slander (sec-499), Criminal Breach of Trust (sec-405), cheating (sec-415), Adultery (sec-497), Rape (sec-375).
Brief of Important sections of IPC-
Chapter I- Section 1 to 5- the Important sections of IPC are
1 ( Indian Penal Code- extend to the whole India),
2 ( Punishment of offenses committed within India, if he is guilty),
3 ( tried > beyond India= within India),
4 ( Extension of Code to extra-territorial offenses- any citizen of India > in any place without and beyond India ),
5 ( Certain laws not be affected by this Act- for mutiny, soldiers, sailors, or airmen, special laws are there for them)
Chapter II- Section 6 to 52- Important sections of IPC are
11. Person includes company or Association or Body of Persons, whether incorporated or not.
12. Public includes any class or community
20. Court of Justice denote a judge who is empowered by law to act judicially alone or a body of judges.
21. Public Servant – military, judges, an officer of a court of Justice, every Jurymen, assessor, member of Panchayat, every arbitrator, government officer whose duty is to prevent the offenses, etc.
29A. Electronic record
31. A will
34. Act done by several persons in furtherance of Common Intention, all persons are liable for the offense done by one person or more persons.
- there was a common intention
- pre-arranged plan
- two or more persons
- the person sought to be so held liable had participated in some manner in the act constituting the offense.
36. Effect caused partly by act and partly by omission, for example,/Illustration- A intentionally causes Z’s death, partly by illegally omitting to give Z food, and partly by beating Z. A has committed murder.
37. Co-operation – one act or jointly acts with any other person, for Illustration– A and B agree to murder Z by severally and at different times giving him small doses of poison. A and B administer the poison according to the agreement with intent to murder Z. Z dies from the effects of several doses of poison- Co-operation in the commission of murder- they are both guilty offenses though their acts are separate.
38. Persons Concerned in criminal act may be guilty of different offenses – concerned in the commission of a criminal act,
43. Illegal, Legally bound to do
Chapter III- Section 53 to 75
- Imprisonment for life
- Imprisonment- rigorous with hard labor and simple
- forfeiture of property
53A. Construction of reference to transportation
54. Commutation of sentence of Death
55. Commutation of Sentence of Imprisonment for life
55A. Appropriate goverment – Central Goverment, Goverment of state
57. Fractions of the term of Punishment- Imprisonment for life shall be reckoned as equivalent to 20 years
60. Sentence- wholly or partly- rigorous or simple
63. Amount of Fine
64. Sentence of imprisonment for non-payment of fine
65. Limit of Imprisonment for non-payment of fine, when imprisonment and fine awardable
66. Description of imprisonment for non-payment of fine
73. Solitary confinement
Chapter IV- Section 76 to 106
Chapter V- Section 107 to 120
Chapter VA- Section 120A to 120B
Chapter VI- Section 121 to 130
Chapter IX- Section 161 to 171
Chapter XVII- Section 378 to 462
Chapter XXI- Section 499 to 502
Chapter XXII- Section 503 to 510
Chapter XXIII- Section 511
Important sections of IPC- By Akash